Friday, December 31, 2010

crafting in 2010

This morning I spent a little time browsing through my photos, remembering all of the sewing and crocheting I was able to squeeze in this year. I'm a little surprised by how much I was able to accomplish during this crazy time. I was pregnant with our third child, we moved from our first home to our place in the country, and we had our baby. Between morning sickness, packing, spending time with my husband, parenting the two little men in our house, unpacking, starting our little farm, and having our beautiful little baby girl, it has been quite the year.

I thought I'd answer a few of the questions from Sew Mama Sew's Reflection & Prediction post to help wrap things up for the year.

Looking back on the sewing scene of 2010, what trends stand out in your mind?

Hexagons! That is the first thing that came to mind. I've loved watching this traditional quilting style came back to life this year.

What were some of your favorite things? (Trends, fabric collections, patterns, blogs? Whatever you really loved.)

A technique that I loved this year was raw edge applique. I had never done much of this in the past, and I really enjoyed making a couple hoops with it this year.

I've really enjoyed my sewing friends this year as well. I finally met a fellow quilter in the real world (no kidding, before Mary I had zero sewing friends), and have formed some really great friendships with fellow bloggers. I am thankful for them and the constant stream of emails, tweets, inspiration, and encouragement that they are always sending my way.

What was your very favorite fabric collection or print? (If not listed above.)

My favorite fabric line of the year has to be Anna Maria Horner's Innocent Crush. This is the first full collection from her that I have purchased, and I absolutely love it. The colors are so deep, rich, and very different from what normally catches my eye. I've only used bits and pieces of it so far, but I can't wait to make a quilt out of it in the new year.

What was the best thing you made in 2010? (Be sure to share a photo!)

I don't know about the best thing that I made, but I definitely have a couple favorites. I'm pretty fond of the set of quilts I made for Weston and Elijah's bunkbed this past spring. They were simple patterns that they picked out themselves, and I enjoyed using some of my favorite fabrics.

I also loved making this Girl on a Swing hoop. It was the first time I sewed anything like this and I loved every minute of it. And my fall pillow set was a lot of fun to make as well.

What is one of the best things you saw that was made by someone else?
My favorite quilt that I've seen online is this gorgeous snail trail made out of Flea Market Fancy by Silly lil Doe. Make sure to click on the photo to see the picture in her photostream.

Anything you’re ready for the sewing world to get over?

I'd like to see people get over their favorites, in terms of stepping out of their comfort zone and using new patterns and color combos. I hope to do that myself.

What’s on your sewing agenda for 2011? What are you excited about?

One thing I'm excited about this coming year is meeting some of my blogging friends in real life. My goals? To stay true to myself and what I like. I don't want to be swayed by what is trendy and popular, but continue to make what I love because it makes me happy. And my sewing agenda? I'd love to make a quilt comprised completely of solids (remember this post?) and a quilt with curves (either a pickledish or the single girl pattern).
If any of you take the time to answer these questions, make sure you let me know! I'd love to read them. And I'll leave you with a mosaic of some of the things I made this year. If you'd like to see the photos in detail, just click on the picture and it will take you to the links.

creating in 2010

Happy New Year friends!
xo, Angela

14 comments:

Jennifer said...

Everything you've made this year is gorgeous, and I've really enjoyed reading your blog! I can't wait to see what you do in 2011. :)

Rachel at Stitched in Color said...

Congratulations on a truly beautiful year! Your blog is definitely one of my favorites and your style is so fresh and colorful. I love seeing the pictures of your farm (which I mostly missed) - we are aspiring farmers. Lovely to see it become a reality for someone! Here's to 2011.

Doe said...

Goodness gracious! Thank you so much for the shout out. Ditto what Jennifer and Rachel said about your style. Lovelovelove everything!

Rosa said...

Wow! You have such a way with colour, I love everything you've made but especially the quilts. Lovely!

Twinfibers said...

What a wonderful look back at a great year! You should be very proud at all of your accomplishments! :)

Anna Joy said...

Happy New Year! Love your blog and creations...such an inspiration!

felicity said...

Wow - such a successful year. Beautiful projects and great posts. Definitely a favourite blog of mine.

Thanks to you, I figured out that my little point and shoot has a "macro" setting, and I learned to edit my photos before posting. Huzzah!

Here's to a terrific 2011!

Anonymous said...

Great post and answers!!
Can't believe how many outrageously fantastic things you've created in a year!
And I'm a bit biased but of course I think you should definitely make a pickledish ( go on!!!!!).

Diane said...

Lovely collection of projects! I liked hearing about the other accomplishments of your year including moving and adding to your family!

Amy Badskirt said...

I hope that everyone steps away from their favourites as well. I think it could be an exciting and unexpectedly wonderful new year.

I also love the bunkbed quilts you made. So sweet to let them each select a pattern.

They are different but they work so well together.

(strange word verification --- mopho. no kidding?!)

Christina Lane | The Sometimes Crafter said...

That was just a really great wrap up for the year! I love reading all of your thoughts. I might have to do the same post myself if I can find sometime in the next few days. I have felt so lucky to get to know you and form a friendship and I hope we're all able to get together at Sewing Summit in the fall!!

Sherri said...

Love this collage...and your thoughts and ideas on this post, too!

Justine said...

Anagela I love your work and find it so inspiring! Fantastic sewing as well amongst all the business of young family life!!!

Karen Sue said...

Angela-
Glad to have found you through a friend's suggestion, and then to have Mary respond to my post and to find out we know people in common and to have her daughter join my SS class and to meet her at our Christmas program! Thanks for all that, which you probably knew nothing about!
Where do you buy your material?? Like the collections? I have been knitting fingerless mitts for Christmas and still have a pair to make...and of course, I don't have a pair myself yet!! But I'd like to get some sewing lined up. Tax season is crazy for me, but I get to escape with my machine to my sister's in NC, hopefully, on April 16 for at least a few days, so I want to line up something FABULOUS!