Sunday, September 27, 2009

What I should be working on: the binding of this Christmas gift. The back of it is ready to be sewn by hand. As much as I adore the quilt and how the binding fabric frames it so nicely, I've been putting it off. It is my least favorite part of the quilting process.

What I've been working on: my new Heather Ross coin quilt! I took these photos the other day, it is a pile of the coins all sewn together... aren't they pretty? I finished the quilt top today, so I'll try to get some pictures up soon. I'm not allowing myself to work on it anymore until I finish up the previously mentioned binding.


Also, a picture from today. I've been so busy with my rag quilts that I haven't done any free motion quilting in awhile. That is the method I will use for my coin quilt, so I thought I'd get a little practice in. I almost forgot how fun it is!

I hope that you have a blessed Monday!

6 comments:

julie said...

Angela,
Lovely quilt, take the stress out of whole process and sew the binding down by machine. With all the quilting stitches on our quilts, one more row of machine stitches in the ditch of the front side of the binding will not look out of place. It's the only way to go, I don't have time to sit for hours and hand sew when 20mins is all it takes on the machine. Give it a go, you'll soon be converted.
Can't wait to see the coin quilt.

Jenny said...

I lovin' your quilts!

Twinfibers said...

They look wonderful!

Unknown said...

I'm with Julie!! Machine it! :) You can really crank out that last part without dread!!! { wink, wink }

Heather

Linnea said...

Maybe I'm crazy but I LOVE sewing on the binding by hand. I dread sewing the front on by machine but once that's done...oh boy...

It seems like the least stressful part to me, and I really enjoy rekindling my love affair with the quilt as I sip tea and put in those final few stitches.

I hope you can find some motivation soon 'cause that is one beautiful quilt!

Leslie said...

oh these are so pretty..i love to hand quilt the binding it is soothing to me somehow. i was reading red pepper quilts the other day and she, rita, had some tips for machining a binding. i have never tried but i have seen nothing turn out bad by her.