Tuesday, September 29, 2009

I'm in love...

... with my new quilt top. I am just thrilled. Isn't she lovely?

I just had to lay down and test out the length. You know, purely experimental.

Don't you love the "dutiful husband holding the quilt" shot? It is always my favorite.

This quilt top features only my favorite Heather Ross fabrics. I think it is such a beautiful way to showcase them. My absolute favorites? The gnomes, mushrooms, vw buses, and Calypso. I also love the seagulls and bikes.

This quilt was inspired completely by the tablecloth quilt by Oh Fransson. Aren't her quilts amazing? The coins are 2x6" , sashing is 2", and borders are 3" (all finished dimensions). The sashing/borders are Essex linen/cotton blend in putty. I haven't chosen the backing or binding yet, but as soon as I finish up with my Christmas gift quilts, I'll come back to this one. I can't wait to use it during the upcoming snowy months.

PS - I think I may try to machine quilt the binding of the KJR/mushroom quilt. I've always done it by hand, so we'll see how it goes. Any advice?

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh its SOOO beautiful I keep throwing around ideas in my head about how to make my heather ross quilt (in reality I could probably make 20 quilts with all of my fabric..lol) this is a very cute design!

Angela Nash said...

I love the way you set the colors! Very pretty - and it will be so fun to snuggle with this winter! No advice on the machine binding. I tried it once and it was a mess, so I'm sticking with hand.

Amy Gordon-Pruden said...

Love this quilt, i may try one of these with some of my leftovers. I just machine binded my queen/king quilt. I hate it! For all that hard work I did on the actual quilt and machine quilting it looks horrible. So I've washed it and I'm going to take it all out and do it by hand. I'm in no rush so maybe it will get done sometime this year.

leigh said...

I'm not a pro on machine binding, but I have done it a few times when I've been in a hurry. One tip is to use your walking foot for it. Also, attach the first side to the back and then finish up on the front so that if your stitching doesn't match up it shows through on the back, not the front. Hope that makes sense. It's really a beautiful quilt!

Megan said...

Oh it is really lovely! I love seeing all the Heather Ross creations ( and I love the already-cozy-on-the-couch photo!)

Aimee said...

To die for!! I love it soooo much!

Good luck machine stitching your binding. I've never done it, but Rita at Red Pepper Quilts reports success...

Sewing Geek said...

Beautiful! I saw the Oh Fransson version as well, inspiring! I actually enjoy the only hand stitching I do on a quilt anymore though I have tried the machine and it was OK.

ladmquilter said...

Beautiful quilt, I have Of Franssons marked as a favorite already both are absolutely wonderful.

Kerri said...

very stunning!! love it!!

Monica said...

That is gorgeous!

Ann-Marie said...

i love this quilt so much!! I need to do a similar one! thanks for the inspiration!